Nine Mile Prairie Township

History of Callaway County, Missouri, published in 1884 by the St. Louis National Historical Company, Chapter XI, pages 230 – 249. Transcribed by Kris Breid.

Early Settlers | Shamrock | Williamsburg

Early Settlers

William Arnold, of Eastern Virginia, married Elizabeth Nowell, and they had Robert, William, Pleasant, Polly and Susan. The three latter moved to Tennessee with their parents. Robert and William were both in the War of 1812, and the latter died of measles while in the army. Robert settled in Shelby County, Kentucky, and was married in 1816 to Elizabeth Marion, by whom he had William, Nancy, and Pleasant. In 1820, he moved to Missouri, and settled in St. Charles county, where he was employed two years as overseer for Nicholas Kountz. He then went to Montgomery county, where he lost his wife, in 1823. He soon after married Piercy Hamlin, daughter of John Hamlin and Bertha Arnold, of Virginia, and settled in Callaway county in 1825. His children by his second wife were George H., Bertha A., John W., Mary E., Robert and Martha C. His oldest son, William, married Louisa Scholl and died without issue. Pleasant married Caroline Scholl, and died, leaving a widow and nine children. He was an excellent man and good citizen. Nancy married Henry Covington. George H. married Melissa Johnson, of Kentucky. Bertha A. married Benjamin F. Covington. John W. married Mary S. Lail. Mary E. was married first to James O. Johnson, of Scotland, and after his death she married James R. Covington. Robert married Elvira Allen. Martha C. married Thomas W. Higginbotham.

William Anderson, of Campbell county, Virginia, married Sarah Easley, and they had Jacob, John, Mary, Elizabeth J., Jerry, Lucinda, William and James C. Jacob settled in St. Charles county, Missouri, in 1832. John settled in Gentry county in 1835. Mary, William and Lucinda settled in Lafayette county, Missouri, and the latter married Rev. Thomas Callaway. James C. married Jane Moorman, of Virginia, and settled in Callaway county in 1831. Their children were James W., Thomas C., Anna M., Alexander, Judith, Jerry, Sarah J., Mary F., Henry W. and George B.

George, a brother of Daniel Boone, married Nancy Lingell, and their children were Squire, John, Samuel, Edward, George, Jr., Elizabeth, Martha, Sarah, Polly and Maria. Squire married and settled in St. Charles county, Missouri, where he died, leaving five sons and several daughters. The names of the sons were Samuel, Hayden, Milo, Thomas and John. Captain Samuel, son of George Boone, Sr., married Anna Simpson, of Kentucky, by whom he had Jeptha V., Mary A., Elizabeth C., Maxemile, Martha L. and Samuel T. Elizabeth C. married her first cousin, Doctor Banton Boone, who was a son of Edward Boone, and their son, Hon. Banton Boone, of Henry county, was once chosen Speaker of the House of Representatives of the State of Missouri. He is a young man of fine abilities, and has a brilliant future before him. Doctor Banton Boone died of cholera at his home on Prairie Fork creek, in Callaway county. Captain Samuel Boone settled in Callaway in 1818, and in 1820 he assisted in building the first Baptist church erected in that county, which was called Salem. He was judge of the county court for some time, and a prominent and influential citizen. Edward, son of George Boone, Sr., married the widow White, whose maiden name was Dorcas Simpson. She was a sister of Captain Samuel Boone’s wife, and at the time of her marriage with Mr. Boone, she had a son—Morgan B. White—who is still living in Callaway county. Her Boone children were Banton, Rudolph, William, George L., Ann, Milley, Margaret, Marla and Mary.

Matthew Boswell, of Albemarle county, Virginia, was a cooper by trade. He married Nancy Maire, and settled in Callaway county, Missouri, in 1835. Their children were Barbara, Mary, Marshall P., Elizabeth, Harriet, John H., Frances, Matthew M., James W., Thomas and Martha M. Barbara married Willis Hall, who settled in Callaway county in 1835. Elizabeth married James Simpson, who became a citizen of that county in 1836. He subsequently died, and she was married again to John Blunkall, who settled in Callaway county in 1834. Harriet was married first to Robert Ansel, and after his death to John Bentley, both early settlers of Callaway county. Frances married James Field. Martha M. married Abraham Brendonburgh.

James Board, of New Jersey, married Nancy Skiller, and they had a son named Philip who married Ellen Thompson, by whom he had James, William, John, Eliza and Eleanor. His first wife died, and he afterwards married a widow lady named Mitchell, by whom he had David, Joseph, Thomas, Cornelius, Maria, Benjamin and Nancy. John Board married Elizabeth Matthews, of Kentucky, and settled in Darst’s Bottom, St. Charles county, in 1819, where he lived six years. During that time he assisted David Darst in catching a corn thief in a steel trap, and then helped to whip him. In 1825 he removed to Callaway county. The trip was made on one horse, which carried the entire family of husband, wife and child, with their household goods, etc. Mr. Board is a stonemason by trade, and built nearly all the old-fashioned mammoth stone chimneys in his neighborhood. He has been married five times, and had twelve children. He was now, in 1874, in his eighty-third year, and stout and hearty for a man of that age. He never wore gloves or overshoes in his life. In disposition he had always been firm, even to obstinacy, and always endeavored to have a mind of his own on every subject.

John Burt, of Orleans county, Vermont, removed to Ohio in 1815. His three sons, John A., Henry and George W., came to Callaway county, Missouri, from 1819 to 1821. They were millwrights by trade, and built the first water mill in Montgomery county, for Colonel Irvine Pitman. After a number of years the mill was moved away, and the large water wheel left standing. The action of the water of course kept it constantly turning, and the negroes and a few superstitious white people of the vicinity imagined that spirits had something to do with it, and could not be induced to go near the place. The Burts also built the first water mill in Callaway county. Henry Burt died in 1823, leaving no family. John represented Callaway county in the Legislature four years, was judge of the county court seven years, and died in 1855. He married Bathsheba Fulkerson, of St. Charles county, and they had nine children. Major George W. Burt served in the War of 1812, when he was only fifteen years of age, and was captured by the British. He married Eretta VanBibber, daughter of Major Isaac VanBibber, and great-granddaughter of Daniel Boone. When he asked the consent of her father to the marriage, the old gentleman replied in a loud tone of voice that he could have her if he wanted her, but she was a “contrary stick,” and if he could do anything with her he was welcome to her; but he didn’t want him to send her back on his hands. Major Burt gladly accepted the “contrary stick,” and obtained a good wife by so doing. They prospered beyond their expectations, and accumulated a fortune. Major Burt was a money loaner for many years, but would never accept more interest than the law allowed him. He always paid every cent he owed, and collected all that was due him. He was a good man, and respected by the entire community where he lived. He died in March, 1876, in his seventy-eighth year, leaving a widow and one son, Huron. They also had a daughter, but she died many years ago. Major Burt was in poor health for about thirty years before his death, and his complaint often carried him apparently to the verge of the grave.

Charles L. Breadwater was an Englishman. He came to America a short time before the commencement of the Revolution, and when the war commenced, he joined the American army and served as a soldier during that memorable struggle. He afterward married Behetheler Sabaston, and they had three children, George, William E. and Anna M. George married Catharine Gunnell, and they had Anna M., Henry, Arthur, John C. H., Elizabeth, Thomas and George, Jr., all of whom, except Arthur, settled in Missouri. William E., son of Charles L. Breadwater, married Margaret Darne, and they had three children, who, after the death of their father, came to Missouri with their mother, and settled in Callaway county in 1833.

William Collins, of Halifax county, Virginia, married Martha Isbell, and settled in Sumner county, Tennessee, where they had Elizabeth, Thomas, George, Daniel, Nancy, William, Barba, Samuel and Martha. Mr. Collins died, and in 1808 his widow and children removed to Christian county, Kentucky. Barba was a soldier of the War of 1812, and was at the battle of New Orleans. He married Matha Johns, and settled in Callaway county, Missouri, in 1831, where they had twelve children. Mrs. Collins died, and he was married the second time to the widow of William Reade, whose maiden name was Polly Chick. She died also, and he was married the third time to the widow McNurthy, whose maiden name was Serena Hays, daughter of Boone Hays, and great-granddaughter of Daniel Boone. Mr. Collins had nine children by his three wives, and was a widower again in 1847, in his eighty-third year.

James Cress, of Virginia, married Judith Babee, and they had one child, William C., who settled in Callaway county in 1833. He married Martha A. Thomas, and they had four sons and three daughters. Mrs. Cress died in 1858, and her husband afterward married Frances Gannaway. Mr. Cress owns the celebrated Boone Hays place, in Callaway county.

Richard Crump, of Virginia, was born in 1772, and was married in 1796 to Sarah Smith of that State. Their children were Lucinda, Turner, Nancy, Richard W. S., America, Thompson S., Henry S., Sally, Mary F., James S., John H., Benedict and Lydia A. Mr. Crump settled in Callaway county in 1820. America, his third daughter, was drowned in the Kentucky river in 1819. His sons all made fortunes, and are good and highly respected citizens.

Reuben Callerson, of Augusta county, Virginia, married Elizabeth Mitchell, and they settled first in Kentucky, from whence they removed to Missouri. Their children were—James, John, Robert, William, Elizabeth, Isabella, Dorothea, Nancy, Polly, Jane, Martha, Margaret and Ann. Robert, Polly, Dorothea and Isabella came to Missouri. James married Nancy Chick, by whom he had six children. John married a Miss Lockridge, and died leaving a widow and three children. William married Nancy Moore, by whom he had eleven children. Elizabeth married Andrew Hamilton, and they both died without issue. Nancy and Martha never married. Jane married John Board, and they had three children. Ann married a Mr. Gilmore.

Jacob and Elizabeth Coil were natives of Ireland, but came to America and settled in Bourbon county, Kentucky, where they had Solomon, Noah, John, George, Elizabeth, Elijah, Polly and Margaret. Solomon and Noah settled in Callaway county in 1825. The former died in 1842 and the latter in 1843. Noah married Elizabeth Lail, by whom he had nine children. John Coil also settled in Callaway county, and married Dinah Bradford. He died in 1865. Elijah married Lucinda Lail, and died in 1863. Elizabeth, Polly and Margaret remained in Kentucky.
Dennis Driskall and his wife, whose maiden name was Thacker, were natives of Ireland, but came to America and settled in Danville county, North Carolina. They had Timothy, Dennis, Jr., David, Polly and Sarah. Mr. Driskall died, and his widow and children removed to Franklin county, Kentucky, in 1805. Dennis, Jr., was married in North Carolina, to Barbara Craft, by whom he had Jesse, John, William, David, Thomas, James H., Dennis, Frances, Elizabeth and Sarah. James H. was married in Kentucky to Martha Wallace, and settled in St. Charles county, Missouri, in 1825, and the following year he removed to Callaway county, where he and his wife are still living. They had eight children, three sons and five daughters. Mr. Driskall is called the workingman of Callaway county, and by industry and economy has made a fortune. He is a carpenter by trade, and built the first Auxvasse Presbyterian Church. It is related of him that he once bought a yoke of oxen and some bacon in St. Charles county, and conveyed the bacon home, a distance of sixty miles, by tying it around the necks of the oxen with hickory withes. Not long afterward, while he was lying in bed one morning, he heard the oxen jump the lot fence, and knowing they would go back where they were raised, he sprang up and followed them, dressed only in his shirt and drawers, without hat or boots. He failed to head them, but followed them to St. Charles county, and drove them back home, performing the journey of one hundred and twenty miles in twenty-four hours, and with nothing on but his shirt and drawers.

Basil Darby, son of George Darby, of England, married Rebecca Allnut, of Maryland, by whom he had Samuel, Thomas, George, Jane and Ann. Samuel married Jane Viers, and settled in Callaway county in 1840, where he died in 1869, in his seventy-sixth year; his widow was living in 1874. They had two sons and eight daughters.

The parents of John Dillard were natives of England. He settled in Caroline county, Virginia, and married Lucy Taliaferro, whose parents were natives of Ireland. They had John T., Thomas, Mary, Isabella, William, Margaret, Franklin E. and James D. Thomas was a surgeon in the United States army, and lived and died in Philadelphia. John T. married Margaret Steele, of Missouri, and settled in Callaway county in 1832. Mary married John Waller, of Kentucky, who settled I Callaway county in 1821. William was a physician, and was married first to Martha Hockaday, of Kentucky, and settled in Callaway county in 1832. After the death of his first wife he married Elizabeth Hughes. Margaret married James Hockaday, of Kentucky, who settled in Callaway county in 1831. Franklin E. also was a physician. He was married first to Ann Bernard, who died, and he then married her sister. He settled in Callaway county in 1833. James D. married Sallie A. French, and settled in Callaway county in 1833. The members of the Dillard family are distinguished for their social qualities, intelligence, hospitality and polite manners. They possess good business qualifications and are excellent citizens.

Joseph C. Duncan, of Buckingham county, Virginia, was of Scotch descent. He married Nancy Maddox, and settled in Christian county, Kentucky, in 1817. In 1829 he removed to Missouri and settled in Callaway county, where he lived the rest of his life. His wife died in 1860, and he died in 1870. They had nine children, but two of them died before they were grown. The names of the other children were Elizabeth A., Frederick W., Ouslow G., Jerome B., Artinicia, Merrett B. and Edward. Elizabeth A. married John McMahan, and is now a widow. Frederick W. lives in Oregon. Ouslow G. married Julia A. Broadwater, and lives in Audrain county. Jerome B. married Mary George. Artinicia married Colonel Marshall S. Coats, of Coats’ Prairie. Merrett B. married Mary E. Berkett. He is a prominent banker of Mexico, Missouri. Edward married Martha McMahan, and lives in Monroe county. Joel and Richard were the two who died before they were grown.

Jacob Everhart was of German parentage. He lived in Loudoun county, Virginia, and his wife was Ann Waltman, a daughter of Jacob Waltman. They had Jacob, John, Joseph and Sarah. Jacob married Sarah Stuck, and they had one child, a daughter. John was married twice, the name of his first wife being Sarah Prince. Sarah married Henry Bruce. Joseph was married in 1826, to Lydia Stuck, and they had James L. and Jacob E. Mrs. Everhart died n 1830, and her husband subsequently married Ann C. Deaver, by whom he had Jesse D., Joseph V., Margaret A., Martha, Virginia, Catharine, John and William B. Mr. Everhart settled in Callaway county in 1834. He was married the third time to the widow of William Dyson, whose maiden name was Lucinda Davis. She was also married three times, her first husband being a Mr. Wren.

John Freeman was an orphan Irish boy, and was raised in South Carolina. When he was grown he settled in Kentucky, where he married Nancy Lenox. In 1832 they came to Missouri and settled in Callaway county. Their children were John, Thomas, Michael, David, Harvey, William, Mary, Jemima, Lucretia, Pernina, Mahala, Arnetha, Lourena, Elizabeth, and two that died in childhood. Mary married Thomas Moxley. Jemima married James Boyce. Lucretia was married first to Frank Drinkard, and second to a Mr. Blessing. Pernina married Allen Ticer. Lourena married Handy Moxley. Mahala married David Cross. Arnetha married Charles Cravens. John, Thomas, Michael, Harvey and Jemima lived and died in Callaway county.

Enoch and Alexander Fruite settled in Callaway county in February, 1819. They were raised in Christian county, Kentucky, and lived several years in Howard county, Missouri, before they settled in Callaway. Aleck Fruite lived on Nine Mile Prairie, and was the first postmaster in that part of the county. He was a hunter and trapper, and devoted most of his time to those occupations. His stock of fire wood gave out once, during a very cold spell of weather, and he and his family had a good prospect of freezing before them, until a bright idea struck him. He took down the wooden chimney of his cabin, hung a blanket across the fire place, and then built a fire of the sticks of his dismantled chimney in the middle of his cabin, the smoke ascending through the roof. By this means they kept from freezing until the weather moderated. Mr. Fruite was opposed to slavery, being what was then called an Abolitionist, and in 1832 he removed to Illinois, so he could live in a free State. Enoch Fruite also settled on Nine Mile Prairie, and devoted the principal part of his time to hinting and trapping. He was elected a justice of the peace, and became an influential citizen of the county. He finally sold out and removed to Monroe county. Some time afterward he had occasion to visit his old neighborhood, and while crossing the prairies in Audrain county, on his way to Callaway, he caught four young wolves, and carried them, in his saddle bags, to the house of William B. Douglas, whose wife kept them for him until his return home. The scalps of these wolves paid his taxes for two years.

Israel Grant, of Scott county, Kentucky, married Susan Bryan, a daughter of James Bryan, and niece of Daniel Boone’s wife. They had three children: James, William and Israel B. Mr. Grant died when his youngest son was quite small, and James, the elder, educated his brothers from the proceeds of their father’s farm. When Israel B. was fifteen years of age he came to Missouri with his uncle, Jonathan Bryan, and taught school one year, when he returned to Kentucky, and began the study of medicine. But he soon grew tired of medicine, and bound himself to a silversmith at Lexington, Kentucky, to learn that trade, his term of apprenticeship to last five years. After the expiration of his apprenticeship he came to St. Louis, Missouri, and worked at his trade five years in that city. He then paid a visit to his uncle, Jonathan Bryan, who persuaded him to quit his trade and go to farming. He accompanied his nephew to Callaway county, where the latter entered a tract of land, and then returned to Kentucky, where, on the 28th of March, 1820, he was married to Letitia Warren. He brought his bride to her new home in Callaway county the same spring. Mr. Grant was elected county judge several times, and served two terms in the State Legislature. During Christmas of 1835 he was killed by two negro slaves as he was returning from Fulton, where he had gone to collect some money. One of the negroes was named Jacob. They were both hanged, and Jacob’s skeleton remained in a doctor’s office at Danville for many years. James Grant was married twice; first to a Miss Eason, and second to Sally Hunt. He settled in Callaway county in 1823, where he became an influential citizen, and represented the county in the Legislature one term. He was also judge of the county court for some time. He subsequently removed to the southwestern part of the State, and settled on the Neosho river, where he died. William Grant enlisted as a private soldier in the War of 1812, and was soon after promoted for gallantry to the rank of lieutenant. He was killed at the disastrous battle known as Dudley’s Defeat, under the following circumstances: After the defeat and capture of the American forces, they were driven under guard into an enclosure, where the Indians at once began to rob them of their money, watches, etc. Grant still had his sword, which had not been taken from him, and was standing with it in his hand, conversing with a friend, Captain Micajah McClenny, when an Indian came up and demanded the weapon. Grant turned to McClenny and said: “They will kill us, anyhow, and I intend to sell my life as dearly as possible.” and dropping the point of his sword to the level of the Indian’s breast he plunged it though his body to the hilt, killing him in his tracks. The next instant Grant’s body was pierced with a hundred rifle balls, and he fell dead at the feet of his friend. McClenny was not hurt, but was afterward exchanged and lived to be an old man. Grant was married before entered the army to Miss Mosbey, and they had a son named William, Jr., generally known as Captain Billy Grant. He was married in 1820 to Sally A. Warren, of Kentucky, and settled in Callaway county, Missouri, the following year. His house was the first one in Callaway county that had glass windows and a staircase, and people came twenty and thirty miles to look at it. The names of Captain Grant’s children were Thomas W., James E., Samuel, Sally W., Mary L., Agnes, Elizabeth, Eveline H. and Martha. Captain Grant died in 1849, and his widow in 1875. Sally W. married Joseph H. Grant, a son of Samuel M. Grant, and they settled in Callaway county in 1834. Mrs. Grant died in 1875. Israel Boone Grant, who was known as Licking Grant, because he came from Licking river, Kentucky, was a son of Squire B. Grant and Susan Hand. He settled in Fulton, Callaway county, and was county clerk for twenty-one years. The names of Mr. Grant’s children were James, Moses, Robert, William T., John Agnes, Martha and Mary.

Thomas Hobson, of Cumberland county, Virginia, had a son named John, who married Permelia Robinson, and settled in Callaway county in 1839. He was married the second time to Elizabeth James of Callaway county, and by his two wives had eight sons and eight daughters. Me. Hobson was a soldier of the War of 1812.
Boone Hays was the son of William Hays, who was killed by James Davis on Femme Osage creek, in 1804. He married Lydia Scholl, his cousin, and settled in Darst’s Bottom in 1801. In 1818 he removed to Callaway county, and built the first horse-mill in his part of the county. His children were Hardin, Jesse, Alfred, Wesley, Terilda, Eleanor, Amazon, Cinderella, Samuel, Mason and Mary B. Mr. Hays was married the second time to a Mrs. Frazier, of Memphis, Tennessee, and in 1849 he went to California, where he died soon after. When Mr. Hays raised his first cabin in Callaway county, he lacked a few logs of having enough to finish it, and went into the woods to cut some more. One of the trees, in falling, slipped and broke his leg, and the severe pain caused him to faint. As he was reeling and about to fall, John P. Martin, who was standing near, caught him in his arms, when he too fainted, and they both fell to the ground together. A man standing near them, but who knew nothing of Hays’ leg being broken, called out, “Hallo there! Are you two drunk again?” Hays had his broken leg splinted and bound up, and sat on a stump and gave directions about the completion of his cabin, as if nothing had occurred. He was a man of iron nerve and robust constitution.

William and Hillery Langtrye came to America from Ireland, and settled in Madison county, Virginia. Hillery was a bachelor, and was in the employ of the government at Washington City for a number of years. In 1861 he returned to his native country, and died there in 1869. His brother, William, married Kitty B. Arbuckle, of Madison county, Virginia and they had Hillery J., Anna, Archibald, Margaret and William. Anna was married first to William Gray, of Callaway county, and second to Joseph Allen, of the same county. Archibald married Elizabeth Hamilton, and settled in Callaway county in 1837. Margaret married Madison McMillon, who settled in Callaway county in 1838. William married Sarah Hamilton, and settled in Callaway county in 1836.

Michael Hutts, of Franklin county, Virginia, married Susan Owens, and they had Owens, Nancy, William, Sally, Leonard, Robert, Mahala, Bluford and Sarah. Bluford was the only one who came to Missouri. He married Rebecca W. Hippinstall, and settled in Callaway county in 1835. They had several children, and Mrs. Hutts died October 2, 1867.

Reece Hughes, of Franklin county, Virginia, married Polly Lyon, and settled in Callaway county, Missouri, in 1834. They had John, William, Elias, Robert, Armistead, Catharine, Polly, Lucy, Elizabeth, Sally, and two that died young.

Rev. John L. Harding, of England, settled in Maryland. He had two sons, Elias and Reason. The latter married Cassandra Ford, and they had Elias H., Charles, Loyd, John, Cassandra, Rebecca F. and Eliza. Elias H. married Harriet Hall, of Maryland, and they had William H., Francis L., Howard D., John H., Elias H., Amanda, Henrietta and Emeline. He was married the second time to Mary Harding, and settled in Callaway county in 1838.

John Lail was born while his parents were prisoners in an Indian camp in Kentucky. When he was grown he married Susan Williams, and settled in Harrison county, Kentucky. They had George, John, Charles, Elijah, Nancy, Margaret, Jane, Lucinda, Elizabeth and Susan. George, John, Charles, Margaret and Susan all married and remained in Kentucky. Nancy married and lived in Indiana. Jane was married first to John Speirs, and after his death she married Edward Wingfield, who settled in Montgomery county, Missouri, in 1834. Elizabeth was married first to Noah Coil, and second to Mr. A. Hall. She has twelve children living. Lucinda married Elijah Coil, by whom she had six children. Elijah married Harriet Allen, of Kentucky, by whom he had fourteen children. He died in 1869, leaving his children well off.

William Jones was a captain in the American army during the Revolutionary War, and was killed at the battle of Guilford Courthouse. He had a son named David, who married Elizabeth Mosley, of Buckingham county, Virginia, and settled in Callaway county, Missouri, in 1838. He was a post-master at Williamsburg for some time. His children were Eliza, Robert M., Permelia, Walker, William A. and Louisa W. Eliza married James S. Mosley. William A. married Mary E. Venable, and settled in Missouri in 1831. Louisa W. married John Hobson, who settled in Callaway county in 1838.

Todekiah Kidwell, of Fairfax county, Virginia, was born in England. His children were Washington R., Albert Zedekiah, Charles F., Goorge [sic] W., Eglantine, Sarah, Virginia and Mary. Washington R. was married at Willard’s Hotel, Washington City, in 1835, to Mary A. Wheeler, of Maryland, and settled in Callaway county, Missouri, in 1839. They had William L., John S. Z. H., Albert, Rebecca E., Mary W., Josephine, Eglantine, Sallie and Rosa W. Mr. Kidwell died in 1864. He represented Callaway county in the Legislature one term.
John P. Martin is the son of Bailey Martin, of Virginia. He married Sally Hatcher, of Richmond, and settled in Callaway county, Missouri, in the spring of 1819. They had three children: Permelia, Polly A., and William J. Mrs. Martin died in September, 1873, in her seventy-ninth year, but her husband was still living, in his eighty-third year, in 1874. He has been one of the most successful farmers of Callaway county, and has accumulated a fortune. In early days he raised cotton and flax, which his wife spun and wove into cloth. She made her loom with her own hands, and it was the first loom in Callaway county.

Stephen Manning settled in Callaway county in 1825. His brother, Asa, had settled in Montgomery county at a much earlier date. Stephen Manning came from Warren county, Kentucky, where he married Sally Leet, by whom he had Asa, Robert, Rozela and Nancy J.

William Meteer married Nancy Kirkpatrick, and settled in Callaway county in 1826. Their children were Polly, Catharine, Jane and John. Mr. Meteer was married the second time to the widow Miller, by whom he had Samuel, Sally, Ann and Virginia.

John McMahan, Jr., of Ireland, came to America before the Revolution, and settled in Rowan county, North Carolina. In 1780 he went to Bryan’s Station, in Kentucky, where he lost his wife. He afterward married a daughter of Israel Boone, a brother of Daniel Boone, by whom he had Jesse, James, William, John and David. He was married a third time, but had no children by his last wife. Jesse McMahan married Polly Fox, and settled in Callaway county in 1827. His children were John, Richard, Shem, George and Sophia. Jesse McMahan came to Missouri in 1800, with a party of hunters, on a hunting expedition, and while on Loutre Prairie they found a man living alone in a miserable hut, and devoting his time to hunting and trapping. They took dinner with him one day, which consisted of nothing more than potatoes and buffalo.

Matthias Overfelt, of Franklin county, Virginia, married Mary Vineyard, and they had Charles, John, Michael and Mary. Charles settled in Monroe county, Missouri. Michael was in the War of 1812. He married Mary Ayers, of Virginia, and settled in Callaway county in 1829. His children were Aletha, Irean, Kitburd, Bethena, Mary, Eli, John, Elijah, William and Elizabeth.

David Palmer, of New Jersey, married Ruth Davis, of Virginia, by whom he had Joel, Harriet, John J., Lucinda, Thomas N., Adelaide and Marion. Joel, who was still living in 1876, in Callaway county, was born in Jefferson county, Virginia, in 1797. He volunteered in the War of 1812, and served under General Stansbury. He was in the battles of Bladdensburg [sic] and Baltimore. In 1821 he married Amy M. Yates, of Bedford county, Virginia, by whom he had David, Harriet E., Sarah E., Burrell B., Marion, William B., Garret P., Martha I., Lucy C., John N., Amy M. and Cornelia H. Harriet, daughter of David Palmer, Sr., lived and died in St. Charles county, Missouri. John J. is the present editor of the Richmond, Virginia, Enquirer. He has been married three times, and has but one child. Lucinda Palmer married John Potts, who settled in Callaway county in 1828. They had Lydia, John, Joel, Susan and Caroline. Thomas N. Palmer disappeared in a very mysterious manner, and was never heard of again. Adelaide married and died in Texas. Marion died in his youth.

Charles Peters, of Nelson county, Virginia, settled in Callaway county, on Auxvasse Creek, about the year 1833. He was married twice. By his first wife he had seven children, but raised only three: Oliver, Napoleon and Lafayette. He was married the second time to Mary A. Fulkes, by whom he had John, Martha, Claiborne, Frank, Samuel, Mary and Maria, all of whom married and settled in Callaway county, and are all dead except three.

Andrew Robinson and wife were born in Ireland, but came to America, and settled in Pennsylvania previous to the Revolutionary war. Their son, James, went to Bourbon county, Kentucky, during the early settlement of that State, and took part in the war against the Indians. He married the widow of Samuel Nesbit, whose maiden name was Elspy Watt. Her first husband was killed by the Indians. The children of James Robinson were Andrew, James S., John and Joseph. Andrew lives in Indiana; James and Joseph married and died in Kentucky; John married Barbara L. F. Willett, and settled in Callaway county in 1831. His children were James E., William W., Eleanor P., Amanda, Elizabeth and Viva M. Mr. Robinson is now (1883) in his eighty-seventh year, and has been an influential and useful citizen.

William Scholl, of England, married a Miss Morgan, and they had Peter, Isaac, Aaron, Joseph, John, Sally, Elizabeth and Rachel. Joseph was born in 1755, and died in 1835. He married Lavina Boone, daughter of Daniel Boone, and settled in Clark county, Kentucky. They had eight children: Jesse B., Septimus, Marcus, Joseph, Selah, Marcia, Leah and Daniel B. Jesse B. married Elizabeth Miller, of Kentucky, and settled in St. Charles county, Missouri in 1811. He died in 1839. Septimus married Sallie Miller, and came to Missouri. His children were Nelson, Daniel B., Marcus, Joseph, Cyrus, Catharine and Eliza. Marcus Scholl was married twice, and, by his second wife had two sons, Marcus Jr. and Joseph. Joseph, son of Joseph Scholl, Sr., married Rebecca V. G. Miller, and settled in Callaway county in 1820, where his wife died in 1829. Their children were Oliver P., Cyrus R. M. and James R. Mr. Scholl was married the second time to Eliza A. Broughton, of Kentucky, by whom he had Rebecca, Elizabeth, Catharine, Louisa, Eliza, Celia, Septimus, Jesse B., Joseph R., Nelson and Sarah. Mr. Scholl was a justice of the peace in Callaway county for twenty-two years, and in early days was a great bear and deer hunter. His second wife, who is still living, often hunted with him, and has killed several deer. Mr. Scholl would frequently go into caves after bears, and was present when Robert Graham had the fight with the wolf in Loutre creek. He was, in 1876, in his seventy-sixth year, and his eyesight was so good that he could see to read fine print through an awl hole in a pair of leather spectacles. Peter, son of William Scholl, of England, married Mary Boone, daughter of George Boone, a brother of Daniel, by whom he had thirteen children. Two of his sons, John and Peter, came to Callaway county, the former in 1830, and the latter in 1826. John married Cenia Jones, and they had seven children. Peter married Elizabeth Hunter, and they had William M. and Mary. The former was sheriff of Callaway county in 1875. He married Sallie Hughes, a daughter of Reese Hughes. Mary Scholl married Milton Jones, and died some time afterward.

John T. Sayers was born in Virginia in 1758. He joined the patriot army during the Revolutionary War, and served with gallantry during that contest. He married Susan Crockett, and settled in Wythe county, Virginia, where they died. Their children were Robert, William, Samuel, John T., Margaret, Easter, Lucy and Jane. Robert and John T. were in the War of 1812. Samuel married Elizabeth Goes, and settled in Callaway county in 1833. He died in 1855, leaving a widow, who still survives, and the following children: Susan C., Elizabeth J., Mary E., Lucy A. M., Helen C., Nancy V., John T. and George R.

John A. Todd and his wife, whose maiden name was Mary Howard, were raised in Warren county, Kentucky. They settled in Callaway county, Missouri, in 1826, and had twenty-one children, ten of whom lived to be grown. The names of the latter were Margaret, Robert L., Hugh A., Elizabeth S., Nancy J., Mary A., John A., Mildred F., Asa M. and Joseph H. Mr. Todd was married the second time to a widow lady, by whom he had William and Sarah J. He built a mill on Loutre creek, and the first Methodist preaching in that part of Callaway county was held in his house. He died in 1862.

John Wilburn married Mary Curtis, by whom he had Caroline, Ann, Rebecca, St. Clair, William, Robert and John. He settled in Callaway county in 1816.

John Word, of England, settled in Goochland county, Virginia. He had two children, John and Mary. John married Lucy Rice, and settled in Kentucky in 1803. They had William, Charles R., Matilda and Nancy. Mr. Word removed to Missouri in 1817, and settled in Callaway county. William, his eldest son, married Polly Rives, who, after an affliction of seven years, went entirely blind. Charles R., now living, was a celebrated auger maker in his younger days. His augers were of such a superior quality that he could not make them fast enough to supply the demand. He married Jane McCormack, and they had Nancy, John, Lucy, Martha, Charles W., James R., Margaret G., Mary E., Montezuma and George W.

Moses and William Wilkerson were the sons of Moses Wilkerson, of England, who came to America and settled in Virginia before the Revolutionary War. He died some years afterward, and his widow married again. After their mother’s second marriage, Moses and William went to Kentucky, and lived for some time in the fort at Boonesborough. Moses married Aletha Anderson, who had lived in the fort with her parents three years, and was there when Jemima Boone and the Callaway girls were captured by the Indians. They afterwards settled in Montgomery county, Kentucky, and raised nine children, whose names were John, William, Abraham, Henry, Hiram, Haley, Nimrod, Cenia and Sally. Mrs. Wilkerson died in Kentucky in 1833. William, the second son, received a limited education, and after his father’s death he was appointed executor of the estate and guardian for his brothers and sisters. The duties thus imposed upon him gave him a practical knowledge of business affairs, and the people of his county had so much confidence in his ability and integrity that they elected him a member of the county court while he was quite young. The court at that time was composed of twelve men, selected with reference to their ability and experience, and it was no small honor to be chosen. Mr. Wilkerson enlisted in the War of 1812, and was chosen first lieutenant of Captain George Arthur’s company. They belonged to that portion of the army which operated in Canada, and Lieutenant Wilkerson assisted in capturing a fort in which several hundred of the enemy were garrisoned. After the close of the war he was elected colonel of militia, and was subsequently chosen to represent his county in the Legislature. In 1830 he came to Missouri and settled in Callaway county. In 1836 he was elected a member of the Legislature, and afterward represented the county in the same body during a portion of two terms. He was also presiding justice of the county court for several years. He died in 1845; his wife died in 1839. Her maiden name was Elizabeth Clark, daughter of James Clark who came from Ireland, married a Miss Arbuckle, and settled in Greenbriar [sic] county, Virginia. Colonel Wilkerson was a high-toned, honorable gentleman; moral and upright, but not a member of any church. He was highly respected in his community, and his counsel and advice were sought by all, which he gave without ostentation or display, and always for what he considered best. He was modest and unassuming in his manners, and possessed an excellent mind, which he diligently cultivated. He was temperate in his habits, and never used profane language. In his family circle he was kind and indulgent, but firm in requiring his children to do what was right. He was an honest politician, and no competitor could ever say that he took an unfair advantage of him. The names of his children were Harrison, Achilles (a physician), William H., Narcissa C., Elizabeth and Emily.

John White, of Kentucky, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. He had a son named Archibald, who married a Miss Simpson, and they were the parents of Morgan B. and Archibald White, Jr. Morgan B. settled in Callaway county in 1826, and became a prominent and influential citizen. He has always been a staunch Democrat, basing his political faith upon the true Jeffersonian doctrine. He represented Callaway county in the Legislature of 1834-5, with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. He is now (1876), past the age at which men participate in public affairs, but he still feels an interest in the success of his beloved party, and the supremacy of honesty and good government. He reads a great deal, and keeps himself thoroughly posted in the events of the day. “Uncle Morgan’s” opinions and ideas still carry weight in Callaway county, where he is respected as one of the few remaining actors in a better and more prosperous era of our government. The white-haired pioneer is always given a prominent position at public meetings, and office-seekers can do no better than declare, as they point to him, that they will endeavor to perform their duty as faithfully and disinterestedly as he and his associates did. Mr. White tells an amusing anecdote on himself that occurred during his stay in Jefferson City, while attending the session of the Legislature of which he was a member. He boarded at a private house kept by a widow lady, who put him to sleep in a bed surrounded by heavy damask curtains. It was the first bed of the kind that he had ever seen, and for his life he could not tell how to get into the thing. He finally concluded that he would have to go over the top; so drawing a table and chair to the side of the bed he mounted on to them, and rolled over, expecting to land on a nice, soft bed; but instead of that he was caught by the floor, and, like the Irishman, considerably hurt by the “sudden stopping.” He learned the trick, however, and after that had no difficulty about getting into his bed. Mr. White was married first to Mary Ann Marmaduke, of Shelby county, Kentucky, by whom he had twelve children. His second wife was a widow lady named Hughes, whose maiden name was McMurtry. His children are intelligent and cultivated, and his sons are among the most enterprising men of the communities in which they live. Archibald White, brother of Morgan B., Sr., settled in Callaway county in 1832, and died two years later, leaving a widow and one child.

James Wren, of Fairfax county, Virginia, married Sarah M. Lee, daughter of Hancock Lee, and settled in Callaway county, Missouri, in 1833. His children were Sarah E., James, Mary C., and John E. Mr. Wren was married the second time to the widow Williams, and died in Callaway county in 1875, aged seventy-nine years. He was a soldier of the War of 1812.

Joseph Winn, of Kentucky, was married first to a Miss Bartley, and second to Peggy Turman. Mr. Winn settled first in Kentucky, and afterward removed to Clark county, Ohio, where he died. His children were John, Charles, Martha, Jane, Susan, Myrtella and Douglass. The latter married Elizabeth Rawlings, and settled in Callaway county in 1838. His children were Mary, Myrtella, John, Elizabeth, Thomas, Richard, Melvina, Douglass, Jr., Martha, William, Susannah and Ascenia.

John Larch, of Pennsylvania, had four sons and two daughters, Christopher, Joseph, Michael, John, Barbara and Jane. Christopher and Michael settled on Clinch River, in Virginia. Joseph was killed at the battle of Tippecanoe. John married Margaret Long, of Maryland, and they had Daniel, Joseph, John, Abraham, Isaac, Jonathan, Catharine, Rachel, Mary and Eve. Daniel settled in Montgomery county, Maryland, in 1820, and married Elizabeth S. Johnson. Joseph settled in Callaway county in 1822, and married Narcissa Davis, by whom he had twelve children. Daniel and Joseph Larch were both living in 1876, the former in his seventy-eighth year, and the latter in his seventy-sixth. Daniel owned a tanyard on Loutre creek, many years ago, and bought a great many hides in Lincoln county, which he conveyed to his tanyard by tying them to his horse’s tail and dragging them on the ground, a distance of twenty miles.

Archibald Hamilton was a native of the northern part of Ireland, but came to America and settled in Augusta county, Virginia. He had three sons, William, John and Andrew. William married Patience Craig, a daughter of Jesse Craig, and they had Isabella, Jane, Frances, Mary, Joanna, Rebecca, John C., Hugh and Andrew. John C. married Sarah Craig, of Virginia, and they had James C., Mary, John, Robert, Eliza J., Isabella, Sarah and Frances. Mr. Hamilton settled in Callaway county, Missouri, in 1837. Hugh, the son of William Hamilton, Sr., married Elizabeth Clark, and settled in Saline county, Missouri. His brother, Andrew, married Nancy Craig, and settled in Callaway county in 1829. They had James, William C., Elizabeth, Rebecca, Hugh, John S., Mary, and Margaret. Mr. Hamilton’s first wife died, and he was married the second time to Elizabeth Callison. Joanna, daughter of William Hamilton, married Samuel Wilson, who settled in Callaway county in 1832. Rebecca married Brydon Wilson, who settled in Callaway county in 1832. Frances married Robert Neal, who settled in that county in 1829.

John Hamilton, a distant relative of the above family, settled in Callaway county in 1820. His wife was Peggy C. Baskins


This town was laid out in December, 1836, by B. G. D. Moxley, and is located in Nine Mile Prairie township, sixteen miles northeast of Fulton and twelve miles west of Montgomery City, its shipping point. Tri-weekly mail stage. It contains a Methodist church and public school, and a population of 105. Mr. Crump opened the first business house in the town.

Business Directory
Arnold & Covington, general store; Jno. T. Bell, painter; J. J. Bolton, physician; Mrs. Kitty Britt, milliner; P. Buchanan, saloon; Ole Hanson, shoemaker; J. R. Hassler, blacksmith; Mrs. C. Keene, hotel; McCullock & Dutton, general store; J. McMahon, wagonmaker; T. M. Maughas, physician; George Oliver, wagonmaker; Robert I. Owen, blacksmith; George Yates, druggist.


This village is situated twenty miles northeast of Fulton, and occupies the southwest quarter of southwest half of section 22, township 49, range 7. It contains a population of thirty. Mail semi-weekly; J. S. Lail, postmaster.

Business Directory
Dr. B. D. Brown, druggist; David Garver, wagonmaker; T. W. Hanes, justice of the peace; J. D. W. Hudson, flour mill; H. E. Hunee, saw mill; J. Sam Lail, general store.

Township Transcriptions | Biography Transcriptions | Crimes and Criminals | Old Settlers | Official Records | Wars

Comments are closed.