History of Callaway County, Missouri, published in 1884 by the St. Louis National Historical Company, Chapter XIV, pages 257-261. Transcribed by Kris Breid.
The history of Caldwell, Calwood and Jackson townships is generally embraced in the history of the townships from which they were taken. The history of Caldwell is included in the history of Round Prairie, Fulton, St. Aubert, Cote Sans Dessein and Cedar townships. The history of Calwood will be found in the history of Nine Mile Prairie, Liberty and Fulton townships, and the history of Jackson township will be found in Nine Mile Prairie and Liberty.
James Creswell, of Ireland, married a Miss Mackennon, of Pennsylvania, and settled in Kentucky, where they had Martha, Robert, William, George, Elizabeth, John, Sally A., Jane and James. Mr. Creswell and four of his children settled in Callaway county in 1827. Robert Creswell, his son, settled in St. Charles county in 1818. He was a carpenter and did the wood work [sic] on Colonel Nathan Boone’s house, on Femme Osage creek. He also assisted in making Daniel Boone’s second coffin. In 1819 he and his brother, William, removed to and settled in Callaway county. Robert married Nancy Nevens, and William married Eliza Nichols. George married Elizabeth Fitzhugh; James married Jane Allen, and Jane married Singleton Shelby.
Robert Caldwell, of Scotland, was married in South Wales, emigrated to America, and settled in Pennsylvania, where he had a son, Robert, Jr., who married Mary Stephenson, and settled in Bourbon county, Kentucky. His children were James, Robert, William, John, Alexander, Thomas and Patsey. Thomas married Eleanor Boyd, and settled in Callaway county in 1826. He established the pottery works there, now known as Pottersville. His children were Robert, Thomas, Jr., James, John, Newton and Grizella. Robert, brother of Thomas Caldwell, Sr., married Anna Avery, and settled in Callaway county in 1844.
This town was laid out in 18–, but no plat has been filed. It is located on the southwest quarter of section 22, township 46, range 10, and was named after N. G. Caldwell. It is ten miles southwest of Fulton, and contains a population of sixty. The first business house was opened by N. G. Caldwell, who was the first and is the present postmaster.
S. P. Beaven, teacher; N. G. & J. B. Caldwell, general store, stoneware and flour mill; Charles Ellis, coal miner; H. W. Hobbs, coal miner; P. H. Howe, teacher; J. W. Love, blacksmith.
James Van Bibber is said to have been the first settler in Calwood township, locating there as early as June, 1823. Among other old settlers were William Robinson, John Dyer, Larkin Maddox, John Jones, Benjamin Roberts, Dudley Wiggs, Samuel Gibbs, Colonel Isaac Tate, James H. Driskey, Shelton Smith, Reuben Scott, James Scott, James Tate, Colonel Wynkoop Warner, William Dyer, David Kennedy and Thomas G. Dulin.
Benjamin Brooks was a soldier of the Revolutionary War. He settled first in Franklin county, Virginia; removed form there to Kentucky, but soon afterward returned to Virginia. He was married twice, and had two children, Mary and William. William married Mary Sellers, daughter of Andrew Sellers, a Revolutionary soldier. The student of history will remember that in early days in Virginia a number of young girls were brought from England and sold to the settlers for wives, to pay for their passage across the ocean. Mr. Sellers obtained his wife in that way, paying 20 pounds sterling for her; and she made a good and loving wife. The children of William Brooks were Andrew, John, Clifford, Ewell, Pleasant D., Irene, Drusilla, Julia and Nancy. Pleasant D. married Frances Gilbert, and settled in Callaway county in 1834. His first wife died, and he was married the second time to a widow lady names Lovelace. Ewell, his brother, married Lourena Gilbert, and settled in Callaway county in 1837.
In Albemarle county, Virginia, there lived a Mr. Simco who had three children, James, Brooks and Catharine. The two latter married in Virginia, and lived and died there. James married Frances Kennedy, of Virginia, by whom he had Mary, Elizabeth, Lucy, Judith, William, Reuben, Wharton, Samuel and John. Mr. Simco was a soldier in the War of 1812, and settled in Callaway county in 1836. All of his children came with him to Missouri, except Samuel. Mary married David Sheets, who died in Virginia. She then married William Hardin, who settled in Callaway county in 1836. Lucy married George Herron. Judith married John Fletcher. Reuben married Sarah Hill, and settled in Callaway county in 1834. Wharton married Julia A. Brockman, of Missouri. John was married twice; first to Mary Fletcher, and second to Frances Smith, both of Callaway county. William died in Mississippi, unmarried.
is a village of 100 inhabitants, eight miles northwest of Fulton. It is located on the northeast quarter of southeast quarter of section 19, township 48, range 8; but no plat of the town has ever been filed. It contains a church, school-house and flour mill. Its shipments are tobacco and wheat. The first store was erected in 1860, by Nathaniel Robinson. G. N. Majors was the first postmaster; present postmaster, Mrs. L. S. Barnes; tri-weekly mail to Fulton.
L. S. Barnes, general store and drugs; H. M. Bell, meat market; William Bittner, coal miner; Kennedy Dougan, flour mill; J. L. Gilbert, constable; A. G. Harrison, live stock; J. P. Harrison, live stock; J. T. Holland, blacksmith and justice; G. A. Nicolson, live stock; J. C. Sheppard, boots and shoes; J. M. Tate, physician; J. R. Wiggs, carpenter.
McCredie was laid out September 20, 1871, by George P. McCredie, on section 4, township 48, range 9. The town is located eight miles north of Fulton. Live stock, tobacco, broom-corn, ties, logs and wool form the chief shipments. Pasture land abounds in the vicinity. Population, seventy-five. Express and United States mail daily.
S. W. Cook, live stock; Willard Harris, live stock; William Harrison, live stock; James W. Kelso, carpenter; William McCracken, live stock; Jacob Maddox, live stock; R. W. Miller, traveling agent; A.L. Robinson, live stock; J. E. Robinson, insurance agent; W. H. Robinson, live stock; William Vivian, live stock; Tony Wilson, shoemaker; James Wise, postmaster; Wise & Son, general merchants.
was laid out on October 22, 1873, by Thomas B. Harris, on section 23, township 49, range 9. The town is situated on the Missouri Division of the Chicago and Alton Railroad, and is thirteen miles north of Fulton. There is a Methodist church and a public school. The shipments are grain and tobacco. Population, 100. United States express; Western Union telegraph; mail daily. J. A. Harrison, postmaster.
C. R. Adams, druggist and grocery; J. L. Bennett, live stock and farmer; N. P. Cowles, livery; Rev. N. L. Fish (Methodist), justice; J. H. & A. M. Freeman, maet market; W. J. Harris, live stock and farmer; J. Abner Harrison, live and brick manufacturer; S. Harrison, stock raiser and farmer; Lawrence Bros., flour and saw mill; S. B. Myers, carpenter; Joseph Rohn, blacksmith; R. G. Scroggs, physician; Rev. D. R. Shackelford, Methodist; Wm. Simes, physician; J. M. S. Smith, hotel proprietor; Edward Swan, farmer.
This is a post-office located in Jackson township, seventeen miles from Fulton, on the Chicago and Alton Railroad. Mail semi-weekly. John W. English, postmaster.
A flag station, nine miles south of Mexico, on the Chicago and Alton Railroad.