William Nash Moore

Mokane Herald-Post, February 21, 1913.
Transcribed by Carolyn Branch, October 28, 2002.

The subject of this sketch was born in the pioneer settlement of Cote Sans Dessein, one of the earliest trading posts west of the Mississippi, March 21, 1831; died Saturday, February 15, 1913, at his home just west of Mokane.

He was the eldest son of John Bowen Moore who came to this county from Kentucky in 1820. His mother was a daughter of William Nash, a Virginian who came to this State and settled at Old Franklin about 1803, afterward moving to the little river village of Barkersville and locating on the farm at present occupied by C.W. Babb.

His grandfathers on both sides were soldiers in the Revolution and others of his ancestors served in the war of 1812.

Born in the days of scattering settlements and virgin forests, he witnessed the progress of civilization with quickening heartbeat and appreciative eye. Possessed with a fervent desire for knowledge, a large capacity for learning and a very attentive memory, he acquired, under almost insurmountable obstacles, and education that was far more practical and in many ways vastly superior to that possessed by many university graduates of the present day.

He was a natural historian, as he could recall names, dates and circumstances that had escaped most other people. His ability in this direction led to his engagement by the editor of the paper in 1904-05, to write a history of South Callaway, the same being published in installments during those years, for which service Mr. Moore was paid a neat sum.

On the fourth day October, 1855, he married Miss Margaret Ewing, the sixth and youngest daughter of Captain Patrick Ewing. Just one month after their marriage, they moved to the house where he died and there made their home together until August 3, 1903, when his wife died.

They had six children – four daughter and two sons. Of these, only two survive. They are: Patrick E., who resides in the old home, and Mrs. Elizabeth Jones, of Franklin County, MO. He also leaves two brothers, James S., and Wharton.

Mr. Moore’s sympathies were divided when the Civil War broke out, but in 1863 when he was arrested and confined in a military prison at Jefferson City by Federal Troops, and he witnessed the many cruelties practiced in the name of the Union, he decided to cast his fortune with the Confederacy, and as soon as he was released he went South and enlisted.

Mr. Moore had been rather feeble for several years past, but he was carefully shielded and fondly cared for by Mr. and Mrs. P.E. Moore, and his life was, no doubt, greatly prolonged by teir tender care.

After an eloquent tribute paid to his memory by Dr. J. L. Garvin at the Christian Church in this city Sunday afternoon, the remains were laid to rest in the old cemetery adjacent to the church, where his wife and other relatives and old time citizens are buried.

Thus passes another link in the chain that binds us to the past, and thus is forged another in that golden strand that connects us with that glorious future beyond the grave!

Comments are closed.