From the 1884 History of Callaway County, Missouri, page 797-798.
Transcribed by Kris Breid, 12 September 2006.
Samuel T. Moore, farmer and stock raiser, was born in this county, May 26, 1842. His father, James B. Moore, was a native of Kentucky, who came to Missouri when a lad with his parents, and his mother, Leovicy A. Smith, was a native of St. Charles county, Missouri. Samuel T. passed his youth on his father’s farm near St. Aubert, Missouri.
On September 1, 1861, he entered the military service of the State, enlisting in Company B, (Callaway Guards) of Robinson’s infantry battalion, and entered the Confederate service in December of the same year, as a member of Company I, 2d Missouri infantry, General Littles’ 1st Missouri brigade, afterwards General Cockrell’s brigade. He was wounded in front of Atlanta by a ball from a Shrapnel shell through his knee-cap, and disabled for a period of sixty days. Returning to duty on his recovery, he was again wounded at Franklin, Tennessee, this time by a gun shot through the right arm above the elbow. Still undaunted, he continued in service and was taken prisoner at Vicksburg, and held about three months, when he was parolled. [sic] After his exchange he re-entered active service, and when the 2d and 6th Missouri regiments were consolidated, he remained in Company E, of the reorganized 2d regiment, until the close of the war, when he surrendered at Fort Blakely, and returned to his home after nearly four years of service as heroic and severe, probably, as that performed by any man on either side during the war.
He was married to Miss Emma L. Ferguson on February 18, 1867. Miss Ferguson was a daughter of Mr. Swan Ferguson, a Virginian, and was born and reared in Callaway county. She died October 6, 1877, leaving two children, Leovicy J. and B. Forest. On January 15, 1879, he married Miss Kate Harris daughter of Mr. James B. Harris. There is one child by this marriage, Samuel T., Jr. Mr. Moore settled on the farm where he now resides in 1869. He has a good property in this farm of 230 acres, of which about 170 acres are well improved. Upon it are a good two-story frame residence, an excellent barn and fair orchard, with everything in good shape, and the whole forming one of the finest and most productive farms in the Missouri bottoms. Mrs. Moore is a member of the M. E. Church South, and Mr. M. is a member of the Christian Church.